Monday, November 17, 2008

Writing Block Crumbled?

Though I didn't officially sign up for it, my plan was to try and follow along with NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month, which happens every November.  The goal is to write 50,000 words of a novel.  It doesn't have to be good; quantity, not quality, is the point.

Let's just say that having only 10% of that isn't very good for it being November 17.

To be fair, the story I'm working on is actually one that I've prepared more for, so I at least know where it's going.  I have an outline for eleven chapters.  But then I got stuck on one of the major plot lines.  So for weeks I've been trying to figure out how to resolve that story.  Last night, I decided to read a few chapters from Someday My Prince Will Come (I cannot stress how eerily similar the author is to me!) and when I turned the light off, I started thinking about the relationships/non-relationships she had just described in those chapters (since that's sort of what my plot has to deal with).  Two perfect, lovely English guys who promised to call never did.  A third perfect English guy turned out to be gay, but offered her marriage, so that he could have the perfect identity for becoming prime minister and she could remain in England once her visa expired (living in England and marrying royalty being her lifelong dream).  She describes how her father wouldn't care, but her mother would be very disappointed, which made me think: if I had to choose, would I pick my family/common sense or a boy/the life I've dreamed of?  What would my character do?  What would you do?

No comments: