Tuesday, September 2, 2008

90210

9-02 is here.

Not that I was one of the original "Beverly Hills, 90210" fans.  I was much too young, being only 3 years old when it premiered.  However, SoapNet's reruns of the teen soap are so addicting.  I started watching them earlier this year thanks to my roommate Katie's introduction of them to me.  Then, I started watching the first few seasons online (BH 90210 seasons 1-4 on CBS.com, so totally legit) when I wanted my daily fix, but SoapNet didn't air the show on the weekends.

So tonight is the series premiere of the new "90210."  It stars Darcy from Degrassi (Shenae Grimes), Becky from Full House (Lori Loughlin), and this other guy (Rob Estes) who was in another Aaron Spelling production, "Melrose Place," whose first season is also addictively online at CBS.

So am I excited?  Yes and no.  The good points:

1) The updated, modern theme song.  I love the old one (it's my ringtone, haha), but this one takes out the 90s vibe, and makes it 2008 cool.

2) The return of Jennie Garth and Shannen Doherty.  Kelly Taylor is my favorite character on the old show, so I'm super excited to see what's going on with the character now.  Did she and Dylan finally ride off into the sunset?  And even though Brenda is incredibly annoying (and apparently so bitchy that she got written off the show after the fourth season), the more original cast members, the better.

3) The inclusion of Erin Silver and potentially Hannah Zuckerman-Vasquez.  Again, these two were from the original, but they were only babies back then.  It's awesome that Kelly and David's half-sister is a main cast member and Andrea's daughter might be on it.

The bad points:

1) New cast.  The promos reiterate that this is a whole new 90210 for a new generation.  But I'm almost like one of those kids from the 90s who grew up with the original.  They're the characters that I care about and the storylines that I like.

2) Plots that are relevant today.  Which is a good thing for the show, but I read in an interview in Entertainment Weekly with Jennie and Shannen that there are definitely some things in the pilot that never would have happened in the original show.  I guess that that's part of the reason that I like it.  And the cheesiness of a 90s teen soap.

So while I don't know if I'll become a fan of the new 90210 (especially since it just seems like a SoCal version of "Gossip Girl"), it's exciting that the zip code is back.  Though it would've been even cooler if it had debuted 9-02-10, two years from today.

No comments: